Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Site Online!

I think that is very exciting to have the site finally be interactive and online, even if only in a test mode. I've explored Blink and clicked on just about everything. I am very glad to see a geographical map on the page that will hold 'Opportunities.' I know we had been talking about needing a geographical representation, but I wasn't sure where it would end up. I also like the idea that with it on this page, when events are created, they can be tagged directly on the map, so when people click on them, the map will tell them where it will take place. I think that the map is really excellent. We played around with it in the last class, but after exploring it a little further, I like how it functions. I'm glad that there is more focus on the nodes closer to the innermost circle, however, it would be good to be able to click on fringe nodes.

I think that there is clearly a lot of work to be done with the nodes themselves however. I understand the goal of the final assignment, to add more nodes and to interact with the site. However, I believe that it is equally important to clean up the nodes that already exist. Many do not have all the links to other nodes that we know exist. There are duplicates and typos which make the site look less reliable, and therefore less likely to be used and trusted as a legitimate resource.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I just typed a long response to the site but it gave an error message!! Anyways, I just went on the website and when I first logged in as a guest, it asked me to make a profile. When I did this I found two things that need to be fixed. The first, which was already mentioned, is the fact that an error message comes when trying to upload a profile picture. The next is not so much an error, as something that just should probably be fixed for convenience and clarity sake. After entering the profile information and pressing the submit button, the page went back to the same form that I was previously on. Therefore, I was unsure of whether my information had been saved or not. Usually most websites have something where after filling out profile information, it goes to how your profile looks with the information filled out, so that you know what you've entered. Another alternative is to have some type of "success" message so you know that after hitting submit, you're done.

    I also browsed the nodes and clicked on one of them, whereby the map showed up. Although it's still in its initial stages, I think that it looks really good! I like the black background, with purple lines and stars on the edges for the distant nodes. It almost looks like a galaxy! Pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the map with the nodes! I like how this looks so far. Even in its testing stages it still seems like a professional website. Color scheme turned out great too. Some of the information for the nodes is a bit off, but we're still working out the kinks.

    ReplyDelete