Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tufts Energy Forum-Potential?

The Tufts Energy Forum is an organization under the umbrella of the IGL. It is an Undergraduate-centered that does a vast majority of its work within the Tufts campus of Somerville/Medford. Started only 5 years ago, it is a newer organization that has already undergone a name change from the Energy Security Initiative. The main goal of the group is to educate and raise awareness regarding energy use, energy conservation, energy politics and policy, energy markets and energy new-technology. The TEF holds discussions, panels, and speakers throughout the year on the Tufts campus. In addition, it holds an annual conference each year at Tufts regarding energy that draws over 400 people.
Now, this was a bit of a frustrating conversation for me. As I asked the first question, the person who I was talking with informed me that the TEF was definitely looking to work with the Somerville community. He then quickly followed that point up with the point that it was highly unlikely that they would though. He explained that most in the organization don't feel that they really need to expand outside the Tufts community right now. My frustration grew when he started explaining the type of things they do. He told me that they really focus on education and have a ton of contacts and relationship that they consistently tap into to get people to come talk to us, help out with initiatives, etc... They have strong partnerships with the IGL, the Young Entrepreneurs at Tufts, The Climate Solutions Institute, FLECK (Fletcher's energy group) and CIERP at Fletcher which is headed by Professor Mooma. Yet, when I pressed him in trying to figure out what they could offer the community with these great services and opportunities, he reiterated that they were really just focused on Tufts and exploring the possibility of working outside of our own community.
I think that they are missing a huge opportunity to grow not only their organization at Tufts, but to really expand their impact in their ultimate goal. I don't understand why they wouldn't offer the Somerville community the opportunity to come and educate themselves on whatever energy topic they may be talking about, teaching about, etc... Also, I don't understand how they see it to be alright to use people and organizations in the community to better our campus, while really providing nothing back to the community that's giving so much. I think this very much relates to the conversation we had about if we feel a part of a larger community than just Tufts. I think the people in this organization definitely do not, which is why they are very focused on just staying within their comfort zone of the Tufts bubble. Hopefully as they explore their expansion into the community they'll realize just what they can achieve, and will really start to make it a priority in their daily operations.

1 comment:

  1. "Boston Area Social Network: Tufts Energy Forum-Potential?
    By Dean
    The Tufts Energy Forum is an organization under the umbrella of the IGL. It is an Undergraduate-centered that does a vast majority of its work within the Tufts campus of Somerville/Medford. Started only 5 years ago, ..."

    The whole internet is connected and today our classes little piece of the internet found me in a slightly unexpected way. I subscribe to Google Alerts and have a keyword set for Tufts so that I can keep up on the Tufts goings on around the internet. Today in my link summary of Tufts related news, I was informed that Dean had written an article on the Boston Social Network Blog about the Tufts Energy Forum. While I was not especially interested in the content of the post (no offense to Dean) I was very interested that it arrived in my inbox. I think this conclusively ends the debate about whether or not we are linked to other sites on the internet. Google’s web crawlers have found and indexed our blog. Be excited, we are now legit.

    ReplyDelete