Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tufts Daily

Today, I added the Tufts Daily, the campus newspaper, as a node on the map. While creating the node, I realized it provided a very different service than most Tufts organizations. Most of the original organizations I considered interviewing provide volunteers or education. Although the Daily has a staff of over 100, its greatest service is not potential volunteers, but rather its ability as press to spread messages, publicize events, and publish advertisements. With papers already being distributed in Davis Square as well as Tufts, the Daily has a lot of potential to help with economic recovery efforts. The stories and advertisements it publishes about the local community and Tufts students is a great way to link the two groups together. I find this particularly relevant when thinking about the discussions the class had last week on ways students could feel more connected to what is going on outside of the Tufts campus. More broadly, while working on this node, I realized that media serves an entirely different purpose than our current tags describe, which is why I suggest we might want to make a media tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment