Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Athletic Potential

Last week I posted based on the size of the group rendering a potential for service. This week I continued with that motive, and rather than reporting on a group I was 100% unfamiliar with, I chose something I have more of a grasp of. Although I'm no longer a collegiate athlete, when I was one a few years ago I remember our team of 80 young men organizing a community service event... pathetically. It wasn't a lack of desire to give back, rather a lack of motivation to take the initiative set up a relationship: none of the athletes wanted to go out of their way to set up a worthwhile community service. Eventually we set up a relationship with a local school, and eventually we sent a few players each week... eventually nobody took the lead and players stopped participating.
I'm posting Tufts Athletics because, similar to Hillel reaching a huge percentage of the Tufts student body, it reaches a large demographic. Moreover, I think that my experience with the football team would have been different if a local organization or representative could have found us on the map, proposed a community service project, and organized for the athletes (rather than the athletes doing it on their own). I think somebody with a cause would happily say to a group of Tufts athletes: "sign on up with your teammates and friends-- all you have to do is show up and donate some time, we'll take care of the logistics."
The hurdle would be contacting the teams, but I think that the Tufts Athletic Dept. main office could easily set up a bulletin board with community service opportunities that coaches going in-and-out of the office could pass on to their team captains... etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment