Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ownership of Nodes

I just wanted to post a link to something that I saw the other day and thought would be applicable to our site. This is a page on a site called "City Voter" for a pub in downtown Boston. While the pub itself is not applicable to the course, the little "This is my business" link, is. The button takes you through the process of taking ownership of the page because anyone could have posted it. This is the type of format we could use for nodes.

http://cityvoter.com/cornwall-s-654-beacon-st-fenway-kenmore-boston-ma-02215/loc/24379

1 comment:

  1. I checked out the example that Brittney gave for a possible node idea, and I really like it. I think that cittyvoter.com did an excellent job in clearly organizing and displaying the most vital information for the organization (tel., email, address,) while leaving enough space for the personal stuff like pictures, bios, and a map. I think that for the Boston Social Network that a map should be a permanent addition to the page rather than in a tab. because I think the actual location in Boston in respect to other organizations is an important aspect.

    What I also really like is the "what people are saying" section near the bottom. I have seen this feature before on sites like yelp, and I really like the knowledge sharing aspects that it brings to an internet community. Because all the nodes that are in the network will not have an owner and a constant moderator, the ability for user to give brief tid-bits of knowledge about their prior experience will give future users useful knowledge about the organization that they are interested in working with.

    I also thought that the "this is my business" feature was very well done. I explored into the feature for as long as I could until they asked for valuable information, and learned that it's a pretty simple process. You just give your name and number and email, make a password, then wait for the site moderator to confirm this information and allow you to own the node. This seems like a reasonable procedure that our site could be able to adopt.

    ReplyDelete