Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chi Omega

This week I interviewed the president of Tuft's Chi Omega (world's largest women's fraternal organization). Although, she was in a hurry because of midterms, I still got some useful information.

What is Chi Omega and its mission?
Chi Omega is a sisterhood that provides a network of friends and lifelong development for collegiate and alumnae members. Chi Omega is committed to personal integrity, excellence in academic and intellectual pursuits, inter-generational participation, community service, leadership opportunities, social enrichment.

Have you/are you interested in volunteering or working in Somerville/Medford? (you, being part of Chi Omega)
I personally volunteer in other organization on campus in the somervile/medford area but specifically chi omega had girls help out in a local soup kitchen last year and every fall we bake cookies/brownies/etc for local police and fire depts. I am definitely interested in learning about new volunteer opportunities. In addition, through our fundraising events chi omega also raises money for our boston chapter Make a Wish Foundation.

What "economic recovery assets" do/could you bring to Somerville?
Well, Chi omega along with other sororities on campus raised money and participated in the BARCC walk to help the boston area Rape Crisis Center. I guess you can say we helped this organization with funding their services for the area. (not completely sure we do any economic recovering of assets) --> I guess they are not our main target...

How large is your organization on campus?
Right now we have 70 girls on campus and 2 abroad

(If relevant) What is your perception of the economic crises as it pertains to Somerville/Medford?
It seems like many areas in boston, some businesses are having a harder time then others. I have seen a lot of business go out of business even my short two years here. I've noticed a lot of construction seemed to be halted or slowed (projects like fixing sidewalks-- take a lot longer than expect--maybe due to funding?).
Its difficult to really gauge the economic crises of somerville/medford since I spend a majority of my time in the tufts bubble where I am constantly surrounded by students who do not reflect the economic status of the area in which we live.

[This made me think about our conversation about "being part of the community of Somerville" .... while we are in the "Tufts bubble"]


*** Last - she gave me her contact info. but she begged me not to publicize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment